We are excited to announce that our newest project is being undertaken in collaboration with the Honduras-based non-profit Chispa Project. Together, we are working to start a library at a public elementary school in the city of El Progreso, Honduras.
We came upon this project in a somewhat unusual way: via a tweet from the father of the director of Chispa Project, who tweeted at educate. saying we should check out the work Chispa Project does. And we did! Many emails and some Skype calls later, we are thrilled to be announcing this exciting collaboration.
What is Chispa Project?
Chispa Project works across Honduras founding libraries, donating books, and doing teacher development and international volunteer projects. “Chispa” is the Spanish word for spark, and they aim to “spark a desire for lifetime learning” through books. Over the last several years, they have brought roughly 9,000 books to more than 50 different schools around the country. Chispa use a community-driven development approach in all their work, training teachers and communities to use the libraries and books effectively and involving them throughout the process so that they take on full ownership and responsibility of the project.
educate. will be working with Chispa Project to start a library at a public elementary school in the city of El Progreso, Honduras. While Chispa Project will be working on the ground, educate. is providing USD$3,000 towards this initiative, which will help cover the costs of 500 Spanish books, bookshelves, reed mats, training workshops for teachers, parents and children, and of course an inauguration party!
The mayor of El Progreso will be contributing an additional $3,000.
We’re aiming to have the library completed by April, 2018 – just five months from now!
How you can support this project
If you’d like to get involved, here’s how you can help:
- The easiest (and quickest!) way to support this project is to make an online donation to our new campaign page here. 100% of these funds will be going to this library!
- Donating just $5 buys 1 book for the library!
- Share the link to our campaign page!
- We’ve launched a campaign where people can donate online to this specific project! Just copy this link, and share it on all your social media platforms!
- Organize a fundraiser!
- Fancy running a bake sale? Hosting a movie night? Doing a sponsored bungee jump? Or even putting out a donation box in that little cafe you always go to? There’s so many fun and easy ways to raise money, and we’d love the support! Let us know what you’re planning and we’ll support you every step of the way!
- Volunteer at an existing fundraiser!
- We’ve got some big events coming up in Amsterdam, so if you’re interested in getting involved (and you live in that area), then send us an email or a message on our Facebook page! We’d love to get more people involved.
We’re very excited to be embarking on this new project and will be sure to keep you updated!